The IWBF Europe Competitions Commission is inviting clubs to enter the 2014 EuroCup competition.
The results of the 2013 EuroCup events (EuroLeague, Champions Cup, André Vergauwen Cup, Willi Brinkmann Cup and Challenge Cup) can easily be found on our website (www.iwbf-europe.org).
To prepare the 2014 EuroCup events, the IWBF Europe office would like to know whether or not your club is interested to participate in one of these events. An entry form is enclosed, please return this form after completing to the IWBF Europe office as soon as possible, but in any way not later than 15 July 2013.
Please note that the entry form must be signed and rubber stamped by your NOWB, as approval of your club’s participation. Entry forms without signature and stamp of your NOWB will not be registered.
The IWBF Europe Competitions Commission also invites clubs to make a bid for one of the EuroLeague rounds or one of the finals of the above mentioned events.
The Commission would like to draw your attention to the following points:
1. The EuroLeague rounds will be held from Thursday evening 6 March up to and including Sunday morning 9 March 2014;
2. The Challenge Cup, the Willi Brinkmann Cup and the André Vergauwen Cup finals will be held from 24 April up to and including 27 April 2014;
3. The Champions Cup finals will be held from 1 May up to and including 4 May 2014;
4. The point level for all Cups will be 14.5 points on court according to the EuroCup Regulations, female players may add 1.5 point, male players under 18 may add 1 point and female under 18 may add 2 points when on court but the maximum is limited to 17 points;
5. The entry fee for each participating team is € 550 for the Euroleague 1, and Champions Cup, and € 450 for the EuroLeague 2 and André Vergauwen Cup, and € 375 for the EuroLeague 3 and Willi Brinkmann and Challenge Cup. The goodwill fee for all teams will be € 250. The contribution fee to the organiser will be € 180 per person in the EuroLeague and € 200 per person in the finals (Challenge Cup, André Vergauwen Cup, Willi Brinkmann and Champions Cup) for a maximum of 16 delegation members;
6. Referees for the EuroLeague 1, 2 and 3 and for all finals (CHC, WBC, AVC, CC) will be appointed by the IWBF Europe Technical Commission, the fee will be € 550 per team.
Please do not wire any money to the IWBF Europe Office until you receive the invoice and confirmation of your club’s participation.
We hope to welcome your club in one of the 2014 EuroCup events.
IWBF Europe Treasurer passed away!
Farewell to a Friend: David Foden, 1st December 1948 - 28th April 2013
It is with our greatest regret that we inform you of the sad passing of David Foden.
David had been battling cancer for the last couple of years and had just started a new course of chemotherapy. Unfortunately Dave contracted an infection and passed away on Sunday evening.
A founding member of Oldham Owls Disabled Sports Club in 1974, David’s commitment to the sport saw him as Chairman of British Wheelchair Basketball and in more recent times Treasurer of IWBF Europe since 2007.
Whilst he moved to France a few years ago with his wife Shelley, he spent a considerable amount of time with his business back in the UK and his treatment was also here for his illness. David’s love of the sport of wheelchair basketball has seen his whole family involved through the years, his daughter and son are still heavily involved, with Emma recently acting as a Commissioner in London at the Paralympic Games and Mat coaching the Great Britain Under 23 team and working as the Talent Development Coach for BWB.
David’s mark on the sport of wheelchair basketball in the UK, through the great strides he made as Association Chairman, Club Chairman and as Treasurer of the International Federation will continue and will not be forgotten.
Club mate and friend Peter Finbow’s comments are echoed by all who knew David when he said, ‘I would like to say how saddened I am about losing a fellow Owl, dear friend and good bloke in David Foden’
David was a great contributor, a provider of advice, an advocate of our sport and of Great Britain on the European and World stage and a great friend. He will be sadly missed.
Our thoughts are with Shelley, Emma, Mat and all his family at this time.
Funeral details will follow at a later date.
IMAGE – David with Maurice Hammerton (fellow Board member of IWBF Europe and friend)
IWBF Europe Office open again
Ron Coppenrath returned from the hospital and is able to work a number of hours a day. During his emergency stay in the hospital he caught pressure sores, which avoid Ron to travel for the coming months. But he will try to pick up the office work again, thus e-mails can be sent again.
2nd Referee Refresher Clinic
During the weekend of 04th - 07th April 2013, the 2nd referee refresher clinic in the cycles 2010 - 2014 was held in Vodice, Croatia.
Due to economic problems in Europe the Greek referees had to cancel their participation to the clinic, which left us with 20 referees to refresh presently.
The three tutors, Norbert Kucera, Zarko Tomsic and Davorin Nakic of FIBA Europe ran the clinic with excellent presentations. Like the 1st clinic in the cycles, the referees had to make a theoratical and a physical test. They also participated in a session on wheelchair handling conducted by Norbert Kucera. Also they all made the English language test.
It was a real pleasure that we had Mr Davorin Nakic, who is a FIBA referee instructor, to give two presentations. This shows again the good relationship between FIBA Europe and IWBF Europe.
The third, and last clinic in the cycles will take place in Surrey (GBR) from 10th – 13th October 2013, hopefully with the Greek referees
IWBF Europe would like to thank the Croatian Paralympic Committee and in particular Krunoslav Peic for hosting this clinic.
Algarve Wheelchair Open
The ALGARVE WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL OPEN is back, this year in Albufeira area (www.alfamar.pt), we guarantee a quality international competition, as well as a unique chance for all to experience the great Algarve weather.
- Dates: 24th to 26th May 2013
- Minimum 4 games per team
- Open for Clubs and National Teams
- Points per team 14,5 ( 5pt players allowed)
- Price per person per day 53€, includes accommodation in double room at Alfamar Sport and Beach Resort (www.alfamar.pt) , all meals, transport from and to Faro International Airport, competition fee, water supply during tournament.
- Teams must bring 1 referee or choose to pay 200€ refereeing fee, teams that bring 2 referees (players or not) have a 10% discount on total price.
- Teams must arrive the latest by the 23rd May, and leave the latest by the 31st May.
- Teams must fly to Faro International Airport, but if flight is available to Seville (Spain), we can organize transport as long as teams cover that extra cost.
- All teams participating must be confirmed by 30th April.
- For any doubts or extra information contact the Tournament Director André Leman:
Phone: +351 966 071 051